Tuesday, January 29, 2008

B is for Balance

Balance

I've been giving a lot of thought to balance. I think it's one of the most important things in life. Balance. Moderation. They're not exciting or passionate words it's true but life without them is like a roller coaster ride. I know that I'm not alone in my quest for balance.

In January of every year you will find hundreds of blog entries or Ravelry threads about yarn diets and food diets. I've never been one to diet, as I've said many times, because the sheer act of dieting causes rebellion to well up in me. Instead, I strive for more balance. I can't say that I won't buy more yarn or, more positively, that I'll only knit from my stash because that starts feelings of deprivation in me and I begin to crave yarn. I'm not, however, one of those who can collect yarn in ever increasing numbers without feeling badly. I'm reminded of how much promise each yarn held when I purchased it and I feel badly that I'm not knitting with the yarns I love sitting right in my closet.

This year I joined two sock clubs which should keep me sufficiently supplied with sock yarn for the year but I still pine for new yarns. I don't jump on every band wagon - you certainly won't see me buy any of the new Noro sock yarn after all the terrible reviews I've read - but sometimes a new yarn calls to me. Last night I ran across one of these yarns. Ivy Brambles is a beautiful looking sock yarn carried by the Yarn and Fiber Company. If you don't know Yarn and Fiber yet you should check them out - they have good prices and free shipping. Anyway, what drew me to this yarn was that I'd never heard of it before and when I checked Ravelry only one other person had knit with it. I slept on the decision over night and I'm still wanting the yarn but haven't yet purchased it.

Instead, I'm sitting here with the still life in the photograph above. I'm already struggling with balance today. I've got the beautiful Brigit which is calling my name loudly, World Without End which is calling almost as loudly, the loved and dreaded laptop which brings the internet right to my lap, and then, sadly, the all too real demands of my boys and household. So I knit some, read some, do a chore or two, attend to the boys. In between my mind wanders to the promise of new yarn.

For all those who have sent us good thoughts and prayers, thank you. Adam's surgery went very well yesterday. Can you believe that from the moment he entered surgery to the moment we left the hospital was 2.5 hours? He's home resting comfortably. We won't know the outcome of the surgery for many weeks but it's out of our hands now - we've done all we can to promote the healing of this bone.