Friday, January 11, 2008

Inauspicious beginnings

Baby Cable Rib ugh


I usually have a pretty good idea of what I want to knit next while I'm working on my current project(s). In fact, there are usually half a dozen things I want to knit next. When I finished the Cherry Cordial socks I knew I wanted to knit a hat next. You already read how that worked out.

While the hat is on hiatus I thought I'd cast on for a pair of socks. I wasn't terribly inspired by my Ravelry queue so I took out all my sock books and flipped through. Again, nothing really jumped out at me. I knew that I wanted to use some of the ShiBui yarn that has been marinating in the stash but I had no pattern to go along with it. Finally, I settled on Waving Lace from Favorite Socks. I cast on and purled the first row and immediately misread the pattern for the rest of the cuff. I wasn't happy with the pattern and didn't want to start with a purl on every needle for the whole sock so I decided to scrap that plan.

Next I cast on for Baby Cable Ribs (seen above) from Sensational Knitted Socks. It's a very simple rib and I like how it looks and I figured it would make a very cozy sock. Well ... I misread the pattern and forgot to add the cuff. I figured that was no big deal really since the whole pattern is ribbed and decided it would look nice without a traditional cuff. I got about 2 inches of the sock done and realized it was just going to be too big. The kind of big that sneaks down into your shoes and wraps around your leg and foot big. I conceded defeat and put it aside. Although I like the pattern and the yarn, I don't love either and can't bear a third start with this yarn.

Madder Ribbed 1

Instead, I went through the stash again and came up with this Mountain Colors Bearfoot which was sent to me by a wonderful Secret Pal last year. My Lichen Ribbed socks which are knit out of Bearfoot are one of the first pair I wear after wash day because they are so warm and cozy. I decided I wanted another pair of Bearfoot socks to wear this winter. The Knitting Vintage Socks Along is knitting Madder Ribbed socks right now so I decided to cast on for those. I think I've found what I'm looking for.