Thursday, January 10, 2008

Denial is not a river in Egypt

I had to come to grips with myself about the Unoriginal Hat from the post below. I realized that if I was getting 7 spi compared to the Harlot's 12 spi something must be amiss. I took a look at the Ravelry page again and realized I was knitting the hat on US size 7's (4.5 mm) instead of 7 mm needles. Big difference! The hat was maybe going to be big enough to fit a newborn and this is not a newborn type yarn. I ripped it out and intended to start over. Sadly, I discovered that although I have size 6.75 mm needles, they come in a 4 needle set and this pattern is just so much easier with 5 needles. For now, the yarn is just sitting, patiently waiting for me to decide what to do.

You know it's somewhat out of character for me to be knitting with yarn this bulky to begin with. After viewing my mosaic, however, and seeing the finished objects on other folk's blogs, I decided to widen my knitting scope a bit. When I heard a not so local yarn store was having a 60% off sale in their sale loft I decided to go investigate. Here's what I found:

(Mostly) Rowan sale

Pretty aren't they? They were each around $5.00 and they'll serve me well as hats, fingerless mitts and mittens. I'm excited about the possibilities and kind of sad I didn't get a little more. The sale is through the 19th but the store is an hour away - near nothing else I need to go to. We'll see what happens.

While I was up in the sale loft, I took a good look around and I found one bin filled with Claudia's Handpainted Yarn. I remember a conversation I had with the owner sometime last year when she told me she wasn't going to carry Claudia's anymore because of the yardage and other issues she was having with ordering. I happen to really like Claudia's but with the skimpy yardage and my big feet I really need 3 skeins to complete a pair of socks and that's pretty expensive at $13.00 a skein. However, what if the skeins were only $5.20? I found five different colors with three skeins.

Claudia sale

My stash is pretty enhanced.