Tuesday, January 08, 2008

First FO of 2008

Cherry Cordial Pair

My first finished object of 2008. Plain Vanilla Cherry Cordial Yarntini socks. Sometimes a yarn just calls out for a plain stockinette sock. If you have never knit with Yarntini you are missing out. The colors are wonderful and only pooled a tiny bit around the gusset. The yarn is soft and squishy and knits up into a nice dense fabric. The skeins have great yardage - even with 7 inch legs and long feet I had a good sized ball left over (I really want to get a scale soon). I would love to get my hands on more.

Cherry Cordial Roll

The sun is out and we are having record breaking warm temperatures here. It was a fine day to take the socks outside for a photo (though my sock blockers have mysteriously disappeared). I also brought out another tub of yarn to photograph for my stash on Ravelry. If you have an account, check out the stash. It's beautiful but it's somewhat overwhelming. I added quite a bit to the stash this week when I went to a BIG sale at a not-so-LYS (more about that another day).

Zen Yarn Garden Samples

Speaking of Ravelry ... I asked a question a few months back wondering why most indie dyers do not reveal the source of their base yarn. The question prompted some great dialogue and Roxanne of Zen Yarn Garden offered to send me some samples of her base yarns so I could feel them for myself. Aren't these the cutest things ever? I especially love the little ball bands. Her base yarns are wonderful - just what I look for in yarns - and her yardage is very good. I immediately joined her Semi-Solid Harmony Sock Club and the yarn arrives before the end of the month. I can hardly wait.

Unoriginal Hat Beginning

Last night, even though I only had a few rows left on my second sock, I couldn't help myself from casting on this Unoriginal Hat by the Yarn Harlot. I'm really enjoying it. The big needles and cabling hurt my wrists some but I'm taking it easy. I'm not getting anywhere close to gauge - she calls for 12 stitches over the cabled area and I'm getting more like 7 or 8 - but the hat is really cute and I'm figuring I can donate it to charity.