It's the last day of October. The fall colors are mostly gone from the trees now leaving the lawns blanketed with debris. My morning walk is done in chilly temperatures with a distinctive crunch underfoot. Baseball is over and fall sports are drawing to a close. Last night the ghouls and goblins were in our neighborhood for trick-or-treat. We are putting up storm doors and clearing the furniture off the deck. You get the feeling we're settling in - getting ready for the winter. The animals all around us are doing the same thing.
This morning I finally finished my October socks. I had them just about finished last night but left the kitchener until this morning when I was more awake. As I sat down to finish them I realized that I had rearranged the stitches incorrectly when I started the toe. I tried to convince myself if wouldn't matter but I knew it would bother me so I ripped out the toe and reknit it.
Pattern: Lichen Ribbed Socks by Nancy Bush
Yarn: Mountain Colors Bearfoot in Goldrush
Needles: 2.75 mm KnitPicks circulars
Modifications: I made my usual round toe instead of the one in the pattern.
I'm quite pleased with the new socks. I'm proud of myself for trying a new heel - the Welsh heel - even though it sounded silly with a seam stitch down the middle. They fit great and I'd definitely make them again. And now I can have an O next to my name on the SAM blog - just under the wire.
Here are the current socks on the needles. To the left are the Harvest Cable socks that I all but abandoned during my Red Sox knitting and to the right are the Green Monster Rally Monkey socks. Both of these socks require at least some attention while knitting leaving me without a simple, portable knitting project. This means that I need to give them my full attention. By the end of November I hope to have two completed pairs of socks to share.