Monday, January 01, 2007

In the beginning



I have taken on the January Challenge for the Vintage Socks KAL and decided to knit the Fancy Silk Socks. In accordance with the rules I waited until January 1st to start them. I got ready last night by winding my skein of yarn but I didn't cast on single stitch until this morning.

I'm using Lorna's Laces in the Grapevine colorway. As always, I love the softness of Lorna's and the stitch definition is great also. I had to start the cuff of double pointed needles because one stitch needed to be moved every other round and that's so much easier to do with dps. After the cuff was finished, however, I was only too happy to get the sock onto my usual circulars (Knit Picks this time).



I told Penny that I'd post a picture of what I bought at my LYS store yesterday. This store doesn't carry much in the way of sock yarn that interests me but I did pick up a skein of Mountain Colors Bearfoot in a beautiful, fallish colorway called Gold Rush. I think it will sit in the stash for a bit but I'm anxious to knit it up. I want to find the perfect pattern for it. As you can see, I also bought myself a ball winder. Woohoo!! Only problem is that my dear husband makes a lousy swift and I do believe I will have to buy myself a swift also. I thought I could make do with just the ball winder but last night's winding session left a lot to be desired.



It's a rainy, icy day here in New Hampshire. Perfect knitting weather.

Happy New Year!!