Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Fancy Silk Socks


Wow, it's really hard to get outside shots in New England in the winter. The sun never seems to get high enough in the sky to let me take photos without shadows. It was clear and bright today so I did my best.

These are the beginnings of the Fancy Silk Socks from Knitting Vintage Socks. On the left is the sock I started on New Year's Day. I finished the Fancy Cuff and 4 (out of 5 or 6) repeats of the leg when I realized that I'm not going to be happy with this sock. The Fancy Cuff part is just too tight going over the ankle. I've made socks like this before and I've never been happy with them. While pondering what to do about that sock, I cast on for the second sock and used a larger size needle for the Fancy Cuff then returned to the smaller needles for the legs. Although I've only completed one repeat of the leg pattern they seem to fit much better and slide over the ankle more easily.