Sunday, January 28, 2007

Duty or Devotion

Jared's new sock

My friend, Melanie, always says that we do things out of duty or devotion and that it really doesn't matter as long as we get the job done.

This is a sock of duty and not devotion. I made my middle son a pair of socks last fall and when they were finished he proclaimed them "too tight". I decided that rather than frog them I'd donate them to Dulaan. He's been nicely reminding me since then that he still needs a pair of socks.

I had this gray and blue Silja in my stash for years and he liked it so I decided to make him blue socks with gray cuffs, heels and toes. He's thrilled with how they look and feel. The problem is that I HATE the Silja - really, really hate it. It feels fake and plastic and nasty. My hands are spoiled by "luxury" yarns and I just don't like the way this feels. It's not a bit fun to knit with.

Still, I'll cast on for the second sock cast on tonight so my son has a pair. Duty not devotion is what keeps me going.