Friday, December 08, 2006

More baking

Progress on the Dublin Bay sock has slowed to a crawl. I'm still loving everything about it but it's taken a back seat to life. I've had some unexpected appointments this week which have taken me out of the house on days that I'm usually able to stay home. Although I don't believe in chiropractors (I mean I know they exist but I don't want to see one myself), I was forced to call one this week after a 10 day headache refused to go away. The CAT scan confirmed I don't have a brain tumor (not that I was worried about it) and the medication the doctor gave me didn't do a thing. My first visit to the chiropractor was very painful and made me feel miserable all day yesterday but my headache is gone! I went back today and will go a couple more times next week. I feel almost human again.

I spent a huge part of the day today baking. I'm trying to find the perfect recipe to use my Trader Joe's UFOs in. UFOs are chocolate mint wafers that are YUMMY! Today I baked a basic sugar cookie, placed a UFO on top when they came out of the oven, waited for the chocolate to soften and then spread it over the top of the cookie. The boys loved them but my husband wasn't too impressed. I think the sugar cookies are too crisp and not exactly what I'm looking for with the UFOs. I'll continue to search for the perfect recipe.

While I was baking anyway I made a wonderful batch of Molasses Cookies. They are wonderful little circles of crunchy goodness - perfect to have with tea or cocoa. I have LOTS of flour and butter, plenty of chocolate and oodles of other baking supplies. I have a cookie swap to go to on Tuesday and need to decide what kind of cookie to make. There are just so many wonderful choices.

Tonight I went out Christmas shopping with my 12 year old son. It wasn't pretty. The other boys had a great time when I brought them shopping but the 12 year old is just getting a bit too big for his britches right now and he's difficult to spend time with. He found nice gifts for both brothers and his father. I even managed to buy a couple of gifts for him while he was otherwise occupied. All in all, it was a successful evening.

I spent some time on the Dublin Bay sock and it's almost to the toe decreases. Stay tuned for a picture very soon.