Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Socktoberfest is officially over

So, it's officially over. For those of us who are ardent sock knitters not much will change. I loved Socktoberfest, however, for the focus on sock knitting. I set some goals for my sock knitting for Socktoberfest and met them all.

  • I knit with yarns exclusively from my stash. It would have been very easy to get carried away during Socktoberfest and to have ordered TONS of new sock yarn but I did not buy one single new skein of yarn. I did have the luxury of receiving some wonderful Lorna's Laces in a swap and I knit with that but it did spend a tiny bit of time with my stash.
chocolate swap package

  • I knit a new pattern from an old book. I've owned Socks Soar on Two Circulars for many years but only used the book to teach me how to knit on two circs. I've never used a pattern from the book before. I used my new Lorna's Laces to make the Columbine Peaks pattern from the book and it came out wonderfully.
Columbine Peak

  • I tried a new technique - toe up socks. I got the toes done without a hitch but the short row heels almost did me in. I've got the heel done on the first sock and I'm knitting my way up the leg. I'm not sure if I'll ever try it again (except for the second sock) but I did try something new.
Toe ups with heel

  • I finished my Jaywalker's second sock. I'm not thrilled with the pattern. I don't care for the inflexible feel of the sock but they're done and once they were washed I liked them more. I don't think I'll ever make another pair.
Jaywalkers

I was also blessed during this time to be the winner of a drawing from an exchange. I was able to purchase yarn from a new to me shop, The Loopy Ewe. The customer service from the owner has been absolutely wonderful and I can't wait to receive my new yarn.