Wednesday, November 15, 2006

I promise not to bore you to tears with stories of my medical woes but things could be better right now. Almost one year ago, I had a total thyroidectomy to treat Graves' Disease. The surgery was a success and I feel much better now than I did before my surgery. Unfortunately, I'm still not able to remain at any stable levels for very long and need constant monitoring and medication adjustments. Finding a doctor or doctors who are willing to really listen and try to understand my symptoms is proving to be impossible. I have lost my faith in the medical system.

Yesterday I had a full blown anxiety attack. It was terrible. I knew what it was and didn't think I was having a heart attack (as many do) but it didn't make me feel any better. I took some medication and went to bed early and woke up feeling much better. Still, I can feel an underlying anxiety what won't go away. I know I'll need to call the doctor but, frankly, I don't see the point.

Today I'm treating myself with knitting and baking. I was a good girl and went out for my usual 4 mile walk this morning. I also did the regular stuff around here - schoolwork with the boys, laundry, cooking, dishes. But the rest of the time I knitted or baked. I'm moving along on my second Raspberry Mocha sock. I love patterned socks because it's easier to measure progress.

This afternoon, Jared and I baked Chocolate Crinkles. Mmmmm! After dinner I baked regular old Peanut Butter Cookies. Both recipes came from The King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion. We'll have to see how many recipes I make out of that book this year. In the last week alone, I've made 4 different recipes. More are sure to follow.