Wednesday, November 08, 2006

First toe up


My first toe up sock is done. Here are my thoughts:
1. I used the Easy Toe from Sensational Knitted Socks and while it was a bit fiddly it wasn't at all difficult. I do like how the smooth, unkitchenered toe looks and feels. I also like how the toe somehow seems more rounded than my usual toe even though I use the same formula for decreasing.

2. It was easy to knit the sock until the ankle bone which turned out to be the perfect place to put the heel.

3. Doing the heel was terrible. It took me a million tries and a trip to my LYS to get it right. It seems like an awful lot of work and there was no way I could have put it down in the middle and come back to it later. It's just not always possible in a house with three boys to have that chunk of uninterupted time to knit. I think I like the way it feels but I'm not sure yet.

4. I like the way the sock folds all flat. Cute.

5. I used the Russian Bind Off for the cuff of my sock. The bind off was easy enough - though I'm not really sure if I did it properly. I detest tightness at the top of my socks. This bind off came out nice and loose but also somewhat messy. It's fine but it doesn't look very neat or crisp. It also gave a teeny flair to the top of the sock which I can live with but prefer wasn't there.

This experience most certainly did not sell me on toe up socks. I will definitely finish the second sock the same way as the first and we'll see if I feel differently at the end but I'm betting that I don't. Cuff down works well for me and unless there's a really, really good reason to change my method I think I'll stick with it.