Friday, November 10, 2006

Raspberry Mocha Parfait

I love food. I love food more than I love knitting. This time of year is dangerous for a foodie. Everywhere I go I see wonderful holiday cooking magazines calling my name. I know most of them have recycled recipes and ideas from years past but I can't help myself. I know that I probably won't make more than one recipe from any magazine but I still can't help myself.

I spent yesterday baking. Cub Scouts had their spaghetti dinner tonight and parents were asked to provide dessert. Because I have two cubs in the Pack I figured I ought to make two desserts. Both treats came from the The King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion. I made Cafe Au Lait bars and Fudgy Peanut Butter Squares. Mmmmm ... my whole house smelled delicious. I was very, very good and sent them all off to the dinner.

I didn't get to go to the spaghetti dinner because my youngest came down with the chicken pox on Wednesday. He's looking pretty pocky by now but, thankfully, feels fine. He's itchy but otherwise feels okay. He was sad to miss the dinner so I took him to Wendy's drive thru. We sat in the van and ate our dinner together. After we ate he told me what a great night he had eating dinner, just the two of us, in the van. I love that kid. On the way home, we saw the Big Dipper just looming in front of us. I had a great date.

Still at work on my first Raspberry Mocha sock. I'm hoping to finish it by the end of the weekend. Until then, I leave you with this recipe by Emeril for Raspberry Mocha Parfait.


Raspberry Mocha Parfait

Ingredients
# 2 cups whole milk
# 1/2 cup sugar
# 4 large egg yolks
# 3 tablespoons cornstarch, sifted
# 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
# 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
# 1 pint fresh raspberries, wiped clean
# Sweetened whipped cream

Directions

1. In a medium, heavy saucepan, combine the milk and sugar. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat, whisking to dissolve the sugar. Remove from the heat.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and cornstarch until pale yellow, about 2 minutes. Slowly add 1/2 cup of the hot milk mixture to the egg yolks, whisking constantly until smooth. Add the egg yolk mixture to the pan of hot milk and whisk to combine. Add the espresso powder and whisk to combine. Return to medium heat and cook, stirring constantly with a heavy wooden spoon until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 5 minutes.

3. Remove from the heat. Add the chocolate pieces, let sit for 2 minutes, then stir to melt. Strain into a clean container. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing down against the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate until chilled and ready to use.

4. To assemble, spoon a portion of the chocolate pastry cream into the bottom of 4 parfait glasses or large, tall wine glasses. Arrange a layer of berries over the cream, and repeat layering, ending with berries on top. Top each with a large dollop of whipped cream. Refrigerate until chilled, 1 to 2 hours.

Yield: Makes 4 servings

Recipe courtesy of chef Emeril Lagasse, Copyright © 2003