Friday, April 13, 2007

It's here


Downy Woodpecker at the feeder this morning

Thank you to all of you who sent good thoughts or prayers or who kept their fingers crossed all day yesterday. I drove up to the school yesterday morning, through the snow, to pick up the notification letter. While at the school I ran into the coach who told me to come back at the end of the day. So I waited until the very end of the day and drove back to the school through much snowier roads only to run into the coach again. He told me something had come up and he hadn't gotten the letters out. Ugh!

Finally, this morning I called the school and found out that Adam's letter was waiting in the front office. I went to pick it up without him as he didn't want to leave the couch. He asked me not to read the letter until he read it first but when I was handed the letter it was just a folded over piece of paper - no envelope or tape or staple- and the front desk wanted to be sure they were giving me the right thing so they unfolded the letter. The only word I saw was Congratulations!

He made the team. I'm so happy for him. It takes a lot of guts to show up to try out for a school team when you don't attend the school. I know this will be a good experience for him. It's a lot of work and commitment for our family. He's not already at the school, after all, so I need to drive him there every day for practice and then return to drive him to another town for his Babe Ruth practice. He'll be at baseball from 3:30 to 8:00 many nights a week and the other two boys have their own practices (thankfully, my husband is their coach). Now if the weather would only look or act like baseball season we'd be all set.