Thursday, September 07, 2006

One sock down (well, I guess it's two)


One sock down for both Jared and me. I've been working on both of these at the same time - different kinds of knitting for different situations. I finished Jared's a couple of days ago and mine last night.

I'm not completely happy with either of them. Jared says his feels too tight. He says it's fine and he'll wear it but it's too tight. I should have gone with 48 stitches instead of 44 but when he tried on the swatch when it was only 1 inch tall he said it was too loose. If he decides he doesn't like them I'll find a charity for them. The yarn is nice - 100% wool with reinforcing yarn in the heel.

My socks are Jaywalkers. I only made them 6 inches tall which is a good thing because otherwise I would have run out of yarn. They feel a bit tight to get on and off. Not the cuff ... the whole sock. Once on the foot, however, they feel nice. I think. As you can see from the picture, I have thin legs (just look at mine next to my 9 year old son's). I also have big feet - size 10. I can't really figure out how to check gauge in this pattern but my gauge seems to be off if I count stitches on the bottom of the feet for the stockinette portion as I get 9 stitches per inch and the pattern seems to be calling for 7.25 stitches per inch (31 stitches over 4 inches). I can't imagine knitting socks with fingering weight yarn at a gauge of only 7.25 stitches per inch. Doesn't 9 seem more "normal" for fingering weight yarn?

Anyway, I've got Jared's second sock on the needles and I'll get my second Jaywalker on the needles tomorrow.

Today is Eric's birthday. Happy 7th birthday, Eric!