Saturday, May 12, 2007

NH Sheep and Wool

When Mr. Baseball asked me what I'd like for Mother's Day, I didn't hesitate for a second. I wanted to be able to attend NH Sheep and Wool. Now Mr. Baseball never cares when I want or need to go out but managing baseball all alone with all three boys on a Saturday is a challenge. Mr. Baseball was up for the challenge so I headed off for a day of fibery fun.

NH Sheep and Wool is much, much smaller than many of the other state's festivals but it's just the right size for me. There aren't as many "famous" vendors, either, but that suits me fine, too. Instead there were many lovely local vendors - many of whom I'd never seen before. I brought just enough cash with me so I wouldn't feel guilty and vowed not to put a penny on the credit card. I'm just amazed at what I bought with my money.

I took lots of pictures. Please remember you can always click on the photos to make them larger. First up are the animals. What's a Sheep and Wool festival without animals?

pocahontas dreadlock sheep alpaca angora bunny


Next are my fibery and not so fibery purchases. I didn't take a picture of the buffalo burger I ate for lunch but it was delicious.

alpaca sock yarn non fibery stuff


At the top is 8 ounces of sportweight alpaca in a beautiful Fawn color. Would you believe I paid less than $20 for this? I imagine I can get a shawl and a scarf or two from this much alpaca. Next is the sock yarn. I got some dye your own (which could go to a lucky swap partner), lots of wool (I promise you wouldn't believe the price), and some hand plied wool/camel blend in an apricot color. Finally, on the bottom, some notecards, some nose balm (for my oldest), some felting foam (for that little penguin kit I bought), and a beautiful fleecy angel. Ahhh! It made me feel full.

It was a beautiful day and I am so grateful to have been able to spend it at the festival. I walked around all day with a big smile just enjoying the freedom of being alone surrounded by knitters and fiber enthusiasts. What a perfect Mother's Day present!