Friday, May 11, 2007

A big decision

Red Delicious sock


A decision had to be made. Last night, I finished my first Red Delicious sock. It should probably be called my Apple Pie A La Mode Sock as I used Apple Laine's Apple Pie sock yarn in Red Delicious with my plain vanilla sock recipe. The yarn is almost as good as apple pie, too. The wool/mohair/silk/nylon mix makes for a very strong, very sturdy, very soft, very cushy sock. I'm glad I stuck to plain vanilla for this yarn because I love how the colors appear with no pooling or flashing or striping. Perfect. Though it's probably going to be too warm to wear them much before apple picking season I know I am going to LOVE these socks.

Here's the problem. I have four size 1 Knit Picks circulars. Two of them are being used for the Claudia sock I'm making for my son. These are destined to be shorty socks for his size 12 feet and I've got the foot done but I'm so bad at doing short row heels that they've sat for over a month. I need to get out my Lucy Neatby DVD and just follow her directions but I haven't had the time or patience to do so. So one pair of needles is tied up in this unfinished sock languishing at the bottom of my knitting bag.
Claudia sock


The prudent thing to do - the thing I would normally do - would be to immediately cast on for the second Apple Pie A La Mode sock. I'm not a big fan of the single sock thang and I don't normally suffer from SSS before I always cast on for the second sock right away. The problem is that my Loopy Sock Club yarn has been calling to me. It will make wonderful summer socks with the bamboo content and bright blues, greens and yellows. I could wear these socks NOW. What to do? I slept on the decision last night and woke up bright and early this morning and decided.

Skinny Dipping Beginning


I couldn't help myself. The fall socks can wait. Summer is right around the corner.