Thursday, July 12, 2007

First Vesper done

First Vesper Sock

The first Vesper sock was completed this morning during swimming lessons at the lake. I'm considering it a learning experience. Here are a few of the things I learned by knitting this one sock:

  • Do NOT jump on the bandwagon of every sock craze. Although I have loved most of the yarn that I have bought online, the Vesper was an impulse buy and one that I regret. I don't care for the yarn in the least.
  • I made a good enough short row heel. The Priscilla's Dream Sock short row heel was the easiest of the short rows I have tried to date. I think I need to tweak it a bit but at least I got through it without crying.
  • I think I need to make the leg longer when using a short row heel. Normally I knit a 7 inch leg and then a 2.5 inch heel flap. Without the heel flap the leg is rather short. Live and learn.
  • I like knitting toes with all the instep stitches on one needle and sole stitches on the other. This makes so much more sense than the way I normally do it in profile.
  • Sometimes good enough is good enough.
I will cast on for the second Vesper sock this afternoon so I have it ready to go for swimming lessons tomorrow (and besides, the Red Sox return to regular play tonight). I doubt that these will ever be my favorite socks and I'm not even sure if I should keep them but I can't stand a single sock without a mate. I'll make the pair.

After these are through I'm rewarding myself by casting on with some Apple Laine. I can hardly wait.