Saturday, February 24, 2007

SP 10

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I generally knit with wool or wool/nylon blends. I made a cashmere scarf this year and loved working with cashmere. I do not like working with cotton in any form.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I have a zippered case that dh bought me years ago to store my needles in. It's not beautiful but it works.

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I've been knitting for about 13 years. I learned to knit from a friend who worked at a yarn store and made 5 Christmas stockings for family that year. I would say that I'm an advanced intermediate knitter.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Yes but I'm working on updating it.

5. What's your favorite scent?
I really don't care for smelly things - they make my nose itchy. I do like very clean, natural scents.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
I have quite a sweet tooth. My favorite candy is good dark chocolate.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I don't really do any other crafts besides knitting. I do not spin and do not want to learn. I do not crochet. I love to cook, bake and garden.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I can handle MP3s. I like 70s folks singers like Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan, and Carly Simon (I know she's not really a folk singer but it's the same time period).

9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
I really like purple and red. I don't care for pastels. I like jewel tones and I'm open to different colors.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I'm married with 3 sons. We have 3 cats.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
I wear mittens and scarves but the yarn needs to be very soft. I'm wimpy that way. I'd love a pair of hand knit mittens.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I generally knit socks although I sometimes knit hats, scarves and mittens.

13. What are you knitting right now?
I just finished a pair of socks today and I'm working on a Norwegian Star hat for my 13 year old. I plan to cast on for another pair of socks tomorrow from Favorite Socks.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Yes!!

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I do the vast majority of my knitting on Knit Picks circulars. I love them. I'd really like some 16" Addis in size 3, 4, 5 or 6 to make hats with. The Knit Picks circs don't come in 16".

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
Yes, brand new this year and I love them both.

17. How old is your oldest UFO?
Oh, probably 6 years old. I decided earlier this year that I'm not going to finish it because I really hate knitting it.

18. What is your favorite holiday?
I love the 4th of July. It's a holiday with very little expectation. I love fireworks and cookouts and parades.

19. Is there anything that you collect?
No. Well, maybe cookbooks though I don't intend to collect them. I love cookbooks by Food Network cooks (I'll admit I really like Rachael Ray cookbooks and own them all even though Rachael annoys me).

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I don't subscribe to any knitting magazines because I prefer small projects most magazines focus on larger items. I don't own any of the Yarn Harlot books and those would make good reading. I'm more than happy to receive used books.
I love solid or semi solid yarns and would like to try a new indie dyer. My favorite online yarn store is The Loopy Ewe. I love Cherry Tree Hill and Mountain Colors Bearfoot. I don't care for self striping yarn.

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I'd like someone to sit with me to go over how I make a short row heel. I'd also like to take a class to go over different cast on techniques.

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Yes. I have size 10 feet. I generally make my socks about 6 or 7 inches tall with a 2.5 inch heel flap and 6.5 inches in the foot before toe decreases.

23. When is your birthday?
April 5th