Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Going slow


Random kitty photo because I don't have anything remotely knitterly interesting to share. Mason is our oldest and best behaved cat. Consequently, he doesn't usually do anything cute or funny that makes me take his picture. My middle son, ever the middle child, doesn't want anyone to feel excluded and asked me to take Mason's photo just because.

The reason I don't have much knitty type stuff to show off is that I hurt my wrists and arms knitting this weekend. Somehow, knitting my son's hat with the different size needles and worsted weight yarn I put stress on my joints. I tend to have problems with carpal tunnel and repetitive stress type injuries and I'm in the midst of a flare up now. The odd thing is my left arm is bothering me more than my right. I don't use my left hand for knitting so I'm not sure why it hurts so much.

I'm still knitting. A little. And a little at a time. I've put the hat aside but I do want to finish it. I've got the lining and the ear flaps knit and I'm just about ready to start the color chart. I'll just wait a bit.

I also cast on the Malamute yarn. I decided to go with a Cable Rib pattern from Favorite Socks. I had the hardest time coming up with a pattern for this yarn and I'm pretty sure this isn't the right pattern for this yarn. It's okay though and I've decided that okay is fine for now. Not everything has to be wonderful. I'm not sure what I feel about the yarn either. It's a merino/tencel blend and it feels sort of like cotton (which I really hate knitting with) but it has more give to it. I'm getting used to it the longer I knit with it and I'll make up my mind when I finish the first sock and can really try it on.

I'm here and I'm knitting but I'm just going slow.