Friday, March 14, 2008

Koolhaas

Koolhaas top

Pattern: Koolhaas Hat

Yarn: Malabrigo Merino Worsted in Continental Blue

Needles: size 6 & 8 circulars

Modifications: none


I finished my Koolhaas last night. I love the way it looks from the top. The decreases are pure genius. I found the pattern quite easy to follow but a little too fiddly for my liking. I was glad to have read the advice of those who knit the hat before me which helped to clear up a couple of confusing parts in the pattern. Overall, however, I found that if I just followed the directions everything worked out fine.

Koolhaas side

I seem to be the only person who doesn't LOVE this hat. My gauge is spot on and the hat came out to the prescribed size but it's HUGE. It's even big on Adam's giant melon head (which he inherited from me). I don't really like the way it looks. It reminds me of a giant blue raspberry. And I don't mean that in a good way.

It's been put in the pile of FOs for now until I decide what to do with it. No one in my family wants it. The cast lady was admiring it when I had to bring Adam back to the doctor this week to have his cast changed (long boring story which I promise you don't want to hear). Maybe I'll give it to her when he gets his cast removed at the end of the month. Maybe it can join my Unoriginal Hat and I could send it to some charity that likes hats that are too big or too small.

Next up ... the Yarn Harlot's One Row Scarf. I know thousands have knit it but it's a simple pattern that's fun to knit with a wonderful, soft, squishy yarn like Malabrigo. This color is called Velvet Grapes. I really don't like knitting scarves but if I'm not in a hurry and if I love the yarn scarves can be kind of soothing.

One Row Scarf